Friday, February 5, 2010

Reflections

Of all the images I have seen in this past month in India, all the symbols of the Hindu Gods, the Budha and all their Temples errected for their Masters over the last 1000 years or more, it is a staggering awareness for me how man devotes such energies on caring for the unknown.

And still it is that, that drives him on to go on, and in India, the ceremonies, the bells, the washing of statues, the fire blessings,  it all gives man a purpose a reason to exist

Each day thousands of flowers are woven to hang around statues, when Sonja and I bought one evening a string each and brought them to our nose, the seller was afghast.

The Gods for which they where intented do not need a smell, so we did not dare place them around our neck .......and say we are Gods.

In all the squalor of India that so many live their is always a temple being build to honor some God, each house has a small corner to bow before, or place incense or flowers.

Not that this is any different from my childhood home where the statues of Jesus, Mary had a special place in the best room and a little oil- light flickering in front of it.

Its the same idea in a muliple forms

Outside Varanasi about 18 km is a round temple where Budha gave his first sermon to his 5 disciples, now when I sat there on the edge and watched the monks from Thibet with their praying beads go round and around mumbling the prayers, I thought 'My God' What is the difference with my workbook lessons?

Somewhere I saw the flash of the history of man in his acknowledgement of some thing greater then anything he imagines and endlessly repeating his desire for contact

No comments:

Post a Comment